Saturday, August 1, 2009

C25K!!!!!!!!!

It's official, I've begun the Couch-to-5k running program! A friend of mine linked it to me, and the intro made perfect sense:

"Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves."

The last time I tried taking up running was by treadmill at the school Recreational Sports Facility, Fall 2008. I really did wind up miserable, the only thing keeping me going was my persistence and the satisfaction of a mirror (and a girl, surprise surprise). I was doing okay, at 6 days/week (I lasted a couple of months as well! And this was with weightlifting too), but I was pushing myself to the extremes, exhausting myself and torturing the hell out of my lungs. I always dreaded it.

Now running is fun! The program calls for 3 runs/week, I've done 5 so far this week! Granted, I've only just finished the second week, but I think I'm making good progress as each transition feels smooth and easy.

Running outside around town, parks, and residential areas is so much fun! There's still a lot of places in this city I haven't seen :D

I bought this the first day:

Purchased at Tuesday Morning (yes I'm cheap), on a Tuesday Morning lol. I realized I didn't have any kind of digital watch, and the program requires a way to measure either running distance or time. Also, as you can see, the wristband is interchangeable. It was either this or a USC digital watch, which would have misrepresented me greatly lol.

The wristband reminds me of Keith Urban, who I had just seen the weekend before the Tuesday in concert with Sugarland. Coincidence? lol. I wonder why he always wears it, maybe his extreme shredding (yes he can shred, I bet he could do metal if he wanted to) causes his forearm and hand to sweat a lot.

Also, I bought some blue Sheaffer ink and a Sheaffer calligraphy fountain pen (which was ridiculously cheap at $6, no converter though D:).

Looking through my notebooks, I think I'm improving greatly (although I don't really write down anything meaningful, I practice by writing whatever I'm listening to at the moment). Credit for top stanza goes to Brad Paisley, the bottom line from Queen. The paper is a Clairefontaine notebook.

The ink is quite... thin. It's a perfect match for the gold-ish fountain I got for my birthday in this post, since it seems to have a bit of a problem in the flow department with my other inks (it was nearly impossible to get a good line with the included ink cartridge!). The flow is nice and even now, and more importantly: reliable. The calligraphy in that post is just hideous now that I look at it.

This calligraphy thing is so addicting! I need to learn a new font.

No comments: